About the Keynote
Industrial Innovation and Mining
The purpose of this session is to highlight the importance of industrial innovation, including in the mining sector. What does innovation mean locally, nationally and internationally for promotion of sustainable production of minerals, both in the U.S. and globally?
An impressive slate of speakers will discuss their insight and perspective on:
- U.S. and global minerals production, and the importance of the U.S. to maintain a major role in the minerals industry, both as a producer and as a technology leader.
- What is required for Minnesota to continue to be a leading producer of minerals (e.g., iron ore, non-ferrous minerals, industrial minerals), and for other U.S. regions, the importance of developing and producing minerals domestically.
- The role of the U.S. government in supporting innovation, particularly in research and development across industry, academia, and agencies.
- What the minerals industry can do to increase the probability of opening mines in the U.S.
The session will include a Panel Discussion Emphasis will be placed on innovation, with respect to both technology and social responsibility, in developed and developing regions of the world. Topics will include:
- Global innovation, and the need for dialog with “all stakeholders” for socially-responsive interaction with local and regional communities.
- Environmental responsibility and industrial activities, including mining, in the 21st century
- Joint U.S. government/industry funding of research and development in sustainable mining – as is now available in other countries – to ensure that the U.S. remains in the forefront of innovation and sustainable practice. What has been lost, and how can it be regained?
- The decline of U.S. university mining engineering programs and its impact on innovation in mineral extraction technology, and recycling and substitution of materials.
About the Speaker
Mr. Goncalves’ brings more than 30 years of experience in the metals and mining industries, as well as extensive Board experience in the United States and abroad. Mr. Goncalves served as Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Metals USA Holdings Corp., a leading American manufacturer and processor of steel and other metals, from May 2006 through April 2013, and was President, Chief Executive Officer and a director of the company since February 2003. Mr. Goncalves also served as a board member of Ascometal SAS, a manufacturer of special steel headquartered in Paris, France, from October 2011 to April 2014. Prior to Metals USA, Mr. Goncalves served as President and Chief Executive Officer of California Steel Industries, Inc. from March 1998 to February 2003. From 1981 to 1998 he was employed by Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional, a leading steel and mining company in Brazil, where he held several positions in operations and sales.
Mr. Goncalves earned a Masters of Science degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the Federal University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, Brazil and a Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the Military Institute of Engineering in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.